Friday, March 27, 2009

On donating platelets, and hating Duke

So, this is how my week went. Monday, I went to work, then went to BJJ. After BJJ (which didn't end until 10), Brian and I had a US Grappling meeting at Glory Days with Andrew. I got home around midnight, and in bed around 1 AM. I think I fell asleep by 1:30 or so, and the alarm went off at 6:15. Tuesday, I knew I had to get to bed early, because I had to be at work at 5 AM on Wednesday. So, I made it to bed at about 11 PM (so much for early), and got up at 4 AM to go to work. Another night of 5 hours of sleep. Yay. After getting to work well before dawn (not good times), we couldn't even start testing until around 7, so it was a waste of my sleep-time anyway. Boo. At 11:30, I headed down to the blood drive, which brings me to donating platelets.

Donating platelets is weird. Just weird. First of all, it took nearly 2 hours. I sat in the room for nearly an hour before I could even start, because they only have 2 platelet-donation stations. So, I watched Forest Gump with the rest of the donating folks, and sent a bunch of text messages. At about 12:30, Forrest Gump ends and it's finally my turn. One of my coworkers had already warned me that when they're returning your blood (well, the non-platelet part), you'll feel cold and your lips will tingle. Boy, was he right! Since I had never donated platelets before, I got to experience the default 8 cycle system. For 5 minutes, they pull blood out of my arm (with a giant needle, I might add). The entire time, I'm squeezing a little sponge-type thing, so I can keep the blood-sucking machine happy with the rate that I'm bleeding. The more I think about this, the less I like it. Anyway, even squeezing every 2 seconds, I don't bleed fast enough. I suppose this is good for most aspects of my life, but not at all good for donating blood on a schedule. Moving on...after they draw blood out, it starts getting returned to you. Now, the cells that they're returning are mixed with saline (hello, cold) and something else. About 2 minutes into the 5 minute return process, I start feeling queasy. I have a terrible metallic taste in my mouth, my lips are tingly, and I'm cold. About 4.5 minutes in, I'm shivering. Repeat 7 more times. At about the halfway point, one of my coworkers got me a can of orange juice, which was nice. It got the weird taste out of my mouth for a few minutes, anyway. Now, normally on release Wednesdays (the crappy days that I have to go in somewhere between 3 and 5 AM), I get off work in time to go to the 2 PM BJJ class. This is by far the best class of the week, and I hardly ever get to go. Unfortunately, after this whole platelet fiasco, training for 2 hours was not on the agenda. Instead, I went home around 2:30. Brian and I got some groceries, he made a delicious London broil, and I fell asleep around 6:30 PM on the couch. At 10:30 or so, I got up, brushed my teeth, and went to bed. I slept until 6:30 on Thursday morning. Oh, and if you're interested, if you're just looking at a bag of platelets hanging there on the blood separating machine, it looks like melted ear wax. It's this weird yellow color, and looks thick and goozy. It was gross.

Thursday and Friday were normal work days (all crap). Tonight, I am skipping BJJ. I have no good reason. I just want to be on my couch, and not drive across town in the rain. I'll go tomorrow, though. It's an open mat, since Andrew is out in LA for the Pan Ams.

Oh, and Duke can suck it. They were supposed to win the stupid NCAA crap, and they lost to crappy Villanova. Way to screw my bracket, jerks.

7 comments:

  1. I'm disgusted by this whole platelet thing. They sucked out your blood, ran it through a machine where they probably zapped it into some mutant form with alien technology, then pushed alien ear wax back in to your arm. You are no longer human. You are now a robot. You WILL have metal legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no...they kept the ear wax part! I still want metal legs, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I thought you meant Duke the love of my life. I was like whoa, what's he done to make Chrissy hate him? Glad to know all is well in the Linzy household.

    And I will never, EVER donate platelets. Mine aren't good enough anyways, but that's beside the point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! You mean Deke? He's swell...sharing my pillow this morning, and snoring in my ear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. I read it as Deke. That'll teach me to check blogs when I wake up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. um that platelet thing sounds awful. i would've died before doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Update! Your public demands it. Again.

    ReplyDelete