Thursday, March 5, 2009

New plan

Over the last few days, I've been thinking about changing my BJJ mindset. Typically, I go to class when I feel like it, & train as hard (or as soft) as I feel like training at that moment. Since I'm fairly lazy & hate losing, this tends to lead me toward rolling light, or just staying home. My new semi-plan is to treat BJJ more like a part-time job. I need to be training 3 times a week, & training hard. I'm starting to think I need to commit to competing in a certain tournament or something, in order to make myself stick with it for more than a few weeks. Guess I'll have to look at the tournament calendar & find one to do, or come up with another way to get motivated.

1 comment:

  1. One of the things that motivates me to train as hard as I can, as often as I can (and even to follow through on all the warmup exercises) is the calorie burning effect. I am also usually looking forward to the next tournament, though promoting me to blue (ahem, before I was ready or merited it) really put a damper on my enthusiasm to compete. I probably train 22 hrs a week in gi, another 3 hrs a week nogi, and 6 hrs a week in just ordinary working out/crossfit, but I'm a little on the obsessive side plus my office allows flex-time so I can take a longer lunch to permit my training schedule. Do you have a nice consistent community of friends who roll or train on particular days of the week? sometimes a little friendly competition helps when fatigue or laziness sets in! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete