Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wintery Mix

Meh. Snow/sleet/ice is falling from the sky. I do not like this, Sam I am. I do not this wintery sham. I do not like it on the road, I do not like it with a toad. Okay, that's the best I can come up with in my grumpy, I-hate-winter mood.

I'm kind of excited that the US Grappling event season is shaping up for 2009. We already have 7 events officially booked for the year, and that's just the tip of the grappling iceberg. I need to get to work on the venues in other cities, though. Those are tough.

Good news about training last night - I trained with a kid who has been coming for a few months now. He got his first stripe last month, so I guess he's been around a while now. Anyway, last night was the first time I had trained with him. He's not at all a spaz, which is super. Down side is that he's going to be kicking my ass within a few months. I better keep training. Anyway, he's a small fellow, so he's a good partner for me.

Other good news about training last night - I defeated Vince's stupid butterfly hook from half guard. Once. He swept me with it about 4 other times, though. Still, one hook defeat for someone who Brian and I have decided must have 6 feet is a win for me. I love rolling with Vince. Love it. Every single time I roll with him, I learn something. I see things that he's doing that are so simple and effective that I try to remember them.

Bad news about training last night - I can't do a damn thing with Parker. Nothing. I flopped around like a fish out of water the whole time we rolled. Sigh. Oh well. Guess I need to suck it up and roll with him every time we're both there.

No comments:

Post a Comment