Friday, January 2, 2009

Food and when to eat it

I have a lot of rules about what can/should be eaten, and when. For example, pizza is not a breakfast food. Neither is spaghetti. Now, I don't actually like your standard breakfast foods too much (eggs, grits, toast, oatmeal), but I still have clear ideas on what should and should not be eaten for breakfast. Growing up, I liked to eat soup for breakfast. Specifically, Campbell's condensed chicken and {insert pasta form here}. It heats up fast, it was better than eggs (ick), and more filling than cereal. I'm not sure when I got away from the habit, but for the last few years, I've been eating a muffin most days. Muffins, while tasty, are not what you could call 'diet-friendly'. So, no more muffins. (It helps that Starbucks has discontinued the cranberry orange muffins, too.) I think I'm going to have just get over it and start eating oatmeal and/or eggs. Sigh.

Moving on, not only do I have ideas about proper breakfast foods, but also what foods go with what weather conditions. Everyone knows that snow days call for something warm and comforting. Foods that fall into this category for me include chili, mashed potatoes, and fresh donuts. When I was a kid, we would make donuts at home on the first snow day of the year, which was always sort of magical. Anyway, I'm not sure why I even like chili so much, because I don't like most of the things in it. I pick around the tomatoes, I don't like biting into onions...gah. Still, I like chili. I like it on rice, or mashed potatoes. I like it in a bowl with sour cream. I like it with chunks of steak in it (but prefer no ground beef). I like it with beans. Huh. You know what...I like Campbells Chili Beef soup. THAT's where my chili love began. I like this stream of consciousness writing stuff...you just never know what's going to come out.

Today, it snowed. I brought a salad for lunch. These two things do not go together. I ate my salad anyway, but now I want something warm to eat. I'm wondering what will happen if I put an apple in the microwave. I probably won't do it, but a baked apple sure does sound nice right now.

3 comments:

  1. So Starbucks discontinues the cranberry orange muffins and you buy cranberries and orange juice and ask me to bake up a cranberry nut bread. I feel cheap.

    I haven't tried it, but I think it's safe to say you'd be disappointed with a microwaved apple.

    And it didn't snow on the east side of town. Damn it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no...I bought the cranberries before I knew about Starbucks and their crappy decision. This is the second time they've discontinued *my* pastry, you know. Jerks.

    ReplyDelete