Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Good news and bad

First, the good news. I got a very cute hat in the mail today. Thanks a lot, Hip Threads! (www.hip-threads.com) It's a little big, but that's okay, in case I ever develop dreadlocks. Okay, so that's not going to happen, but the hat is still cute. In other news, I also got clothes from Soul Flower today. They ship fast, too. Unfortunately, half of my order doesn't fit, so I have to send it back. I have to stop ordering shirts online. It never works out. I thought I'd have a cute, spinny sort of hippie top to wear with jeans. Turns out, it's long enough to wear as a dress, but just makes me look pregnant. This is definitely not good news. So, back that goes. Oh well.

The worst news is that I have damaged a tendon and possibly torn a ligament in my right foot. That's right - looks like I'm in line for my first BJJ surgery. I'm waiting for an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon now, to discuss options. Quick version of what happened - I had a new guy inside my butterfly guard. I planted my right foot and pushed out to armdrag him. When I pulled his arm, he sort of fell onto my leg. My big toe (the hallux - that's right, it's a $5 word) twisted out about 90 degrees, but I didn't have to put it back. I thought this was a good thing, since it didn't actually dislocate and stay pointing the wrong way. I remember thinking that I'd need to ice that later, and continued rolling for another 30 minutes or so, until the end of class. I iced it when I got home, and took some Advil. By the next day, I couldn't really move my toe (or walk very well). I made an appointment with a sports medicine doctor on Monday, and saw him last Wednesday. I got an MRI on Friday, and got the results today.

This is what it says:

Multiplanar MR imaging performed of the forefoot with particular attention to the first digit. An MR visible marker was placed over the area of clinical concern.

There is subtle subcortical cystic chance in the first metatarsal head near its articulation with the medial sesamoid. Sesamoid signal intensity is normal. Remainter of metatarsal and phalangeal narrow signal intensity is unremarkable.

There is a small amount of fluid within the first MTP joint space. The flexor tendon appears intact. Definite extensor tendon abnormality seen. there is minimal fluid adjacent to the lateral margin of the first MTP joint and I cannot positively identify the lateral collateral ligament. The plantar plate appears to be intact.

Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment